Wednesday, June 27, 2012

VH1 Ratings: 2004-2006


This post has been a very long time coming but I was never sure how I would finally be able to break up all the information in a way that I could post it. I’ve also mentioned before that I tried a variation of this at Bourgy some years ago that only included the dating shows and I also maintain a smaller spinoff version of this list there too that details Bad Girls Club ratings and its spinoffs (As an aside I just have to say that I would have hated to have to watch Flavor of Love 2 in HD. The weaves! My what 6 years does to people).

Well today the day has come where I start getting around to posting a little part of this list but first some backstory (Because it’s my blog and I can tell you these things).

So it all started around January 2009 when it was reported that the Real Chance of Love season 1 finale attracted 4.2 million viewers. Frankly I was shocked the number was that high because I didn’t care for that show and I didn’t think other people were that interested either. My curiosity was further piqued when a week later the reunion show garnered 3 million viewers. So I wondered how well were these shows really doing.

We were all aware of that enormous and yet surreal Flavor of Love 2 finale rating (included in this post) and there were rumblings that I Love New York and Rock of Love were both also highly-rated shows but it’s hard to gauge a show outside of its premiere and finale ratings (as was and still is typically reported by news sites) so that lead me to do research.

I ended up at TV By The Numbers a few months later and to my dismay I discovered that VH1 shows were regularly not making their weekly top 25 cable list (VH1 shows still don’t make the overall top 25 cable list but things have changed so no complaints from me). So that got me really wondering things and I started doing research and I found a few things. Then I looked harder and found more things. Then that led to requests and more research and now 3 ½ years later I have this list.

This list way too long to post in its entirety today (as I still add to it 2-3 times a week) so I decided to break it up by year starting with 2004. However there isn’t much info from 2004 to 2006 because a lot of older sites are either now gone or have locked their archives and because VH1 didn’t air so many shows at the same time back then either. The plan is to post 2004-2006 today and then every month I’ll post another year until December where I post everything from 2012 (If I'm still here by the end if 2013 I'll post all those ratings too).

So what I have is what I have. For these earlier years there will be a lot of shows that only have a few episodes worth of information. I tried to give numbers out to 3 decimal places when I have seen them but for some I haven’t so 1 decimal place will have to do.

Surreal Life 3
(9/2004)

Premiere: 1.7 million

Surreal Life 4
(1/2005-5/2005)

Premiere: 2.3 million

Celebrity Fit Club
(1/2005-3/2005)

Premiere: 1.5 million
Finale: 1.8 million

Strange Love
(1/2005-4/2005)

Premiere: 1.8 million

Hogan Knows Best
(7/2005-9/2005)

Premiere: 2.7 million
Episode 2: 1.7 million

Breaking Bonaduce
(9/2005-11/2005)

Premiere: 934,000

My Fair Brady
(9/2005-11/2005)

Premiere: 1.2 million
Finale: 1.8 million

Flavor of Love
(1/2006-4/2006)

Premiere: 1.27 million
Episode 8: 3.5 million
Episode 9: 4.0 million
Clip Show: 3.6 million
Finale: 5.88 million
Reunion: 5.1 million

[The full season average for this show was 2.7 million viewers]

Flavor of Love 2
(8/2006-10/2006)

Premiere: 3.300 million
Episode 2: 3.2 million
Episode 3: 3.3 million
Episode 4: 2.9 million
Episode 5: 2.9 million
Episode 6: 3.2 million
Episode 7: 3.5 million
Episode 8: 3.2 million
Episode 9: 3.8 million
Clip Show: 2.1 million
Finale: 7.516 million [This holds VH1's all-time record in viewers and the 18-49 demo (3.9)]
Reunion: 5.8 million

Celebrity Fit Club 4
(8/2006-10/2006)

Finale: 1.9 million

4 comments:

FOL said...

Too much dram to sign into Wordpress to comment.
Flaovr Of Love's ratings progression... amazing

Silverstar2154 said...

It is amazing. You don't see growth like that every day...Jersey Shore comes to mind of course but Flavor of Love is mystifying in that back in 2006 people thought cable reality shows were just trash TV networks put on to fill space but canceled after a season or 2. They weren't really hits (besides The Osbournes which is what everyone wanted back then....Kardashians and Real Housewives were just getting started back in 06-07).

FOL said...

Are the ratings for I Love New York anywhere on here? I thought I saw it and wanted to link to it.

Silverstar2154 said...

No I was actually going to post those next week (season 1 for sure though I believe season 2 started at the end of 2007 as well).

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.