Monday, September 3, 2012

10 Reasons Why Holidays Suck: Labor Day Edition


So if you come here enough you know very well that I am not fond of holidays…at all. For reasons that I won’t express and boredom I have decided to make what will potentially be a series of posts (written sometime on or near said holiday that I don’t like) about why I think the holiday in question sucks (Oh yes...I'm pretty sure the picture is old but idgaf how old it is because it's funny).

1. For some reason we always have to celebrate this holiday on a Sunday and there’s no sports on TV except baseball and if I miss the game because I’m forced to do other stuff then there’s nothing to make that up with.

2. It sucks if you have also celebrated Memorial Day and the 4th of July because all 3 of those holidays are basically the same. Other than getting the day off I think it should only be necessary to actually do stuff for 2 of those 3.

3. Despite what the media tells us, it’s not the end of summer. It’s still 90 degrees outside, the sun still sets after 7pm and the leaves are still green. All that means is I still have bad allergies therefore it’s still summer.

4. The Halloween candy is already out. I’m not understanding this concept or why I am supposed to be excited about it. If the Halloween candy is out now and I buy a bag today there is a 0% chance that any piece of candy in that bag will make it through 2 weeks and though it feels like it, my calendar says Halloween is not in 2 weeks.

5. Because I live in Chicago, Labor Day coincides with the last day before school starts and I for one would like to know why people wait until that day to go school shopping because there is absolutely nothing on sale at all. They just throw a big ass sticker on average priced stuff and say it’s on sale even though the real sale was a month ago when nobody was thinking about school.

6. Because from this day forward I have to remember what hours it is ok to go outside and/or take the bus and hope like hell that I didn’t choose a day where there’s only a half day or no school (Do they still do that crap where there’s a half day or a day off every 2 weeks?)

7. I’m actually just now getting used to what it feels like to even be in Chicago on Labor Day (PS it’s like every other summer weekend in Chicago which probably seems like a bad thing if you have ever seen newspaper headlines from here).

8. Because nobody even bothers to try to tell us what this holiday is for or why we are supposed to appreciate it like they do with all the other holidays.

9. It’s a Monday holiday and like Memorial Day it sucks because it feels like there are 2 Mondays, the week isn’t relevant until Wednesday and by the time I get situated again it’s Saturday and by then all I want to do is get my snacks ready and isolate myself as I sit and watch my 12 hours of college football in preparation for the next day where I will watch 10 hours of NFL football.

10. Because if you’re a college student, you realize there are no more days off until Thanksgiving (That was so awful. That's why so many kids drop out after the first semester).

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.