Tuesday, June 17, 2014

10 Ratings Blurbs: 6/17/14 Edition


I waited much longer than I had hoped to wait but now I can finally make this post.

1. Game of Thrones (7.093 million 3.8)- So this didn’t set any kind of new records for the finale but given the numbers, that’s just fine. This is still up there near series high territory and HBO is absolutely thrilled with how well this show has done this season.

2. Masterchef (5.24 million 1.8)- After a little bit of a rocky patch the last couple of weeks these are some pretty good numbers. I would wait and see if this is just a one-time thing before doing any kind of victory dances but for a Monday night in the summer on FOX these are some good numbers.

3. Duck Dynasty (4.897 million 1.8)- This is not the juggernaut it used to be and that was evident last season. For just about every other cable reality show these numbers would be fantastic for a premiere. For this show they are underwhelming but not completely unexpected.

4. Pretty Little Liars (2.722 million 1.1)- This came in a little below what I was expecting for the premiere. It makes me wonder if the usual dropoff will be a little more pronounced for the first half of this season. I’m not sure why ABC Family is so invested in this show other than the fact that it is their highest rated show and they have a hard time finding new hits and I’m thinking that sometime in the next year or so the decision will be made to make season 7 the final one.

5. T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle (Episode 10: 815,000 0.4)- I honestly did not see the numbers for episode 9 otherwise they would be here. I saw the rerun numbers for that episode and those are in the 2014 ratings post. That being said, I don’t think the short notice thing was a good move for the show but it had to be done because the season order was for 22 episodes and this corrects the count since the second half is already scheduled to have 12 episodes.

6. 16 & Pregnant (10pm: 920,000 0.5, Finale: 925-934k 0.6)- I had gotten the feeling from the beginning that MTV knew this season wouldn’t amount to much. They originally scheduled it to air at 11pm but a flop called for a replacement and this took over. For a filler replacement role this isn’t bad but considering that it took 18 months just to get this on air after season 4 I don’t think MTV is all aboard with doing another season and I won’t be surprised if they take their time making a decision about it.

7. Switched at Birth (1.173 million 0.4)- This is shockingly low even though the show was on the decline in the spring. I don’t think ABC Family was expecting this and they are certainly hoping these numbers come back up as people begin to discover that the show has returned.

8. Believe (3.20 million 0.7)- You have to know that shows that start very late in the season have the odds for renewal against them. Very few shows make it to a second season and this wasn’t one of them. This show really never had a chance because it was long believed that this was a throwaway show to fill the spring while Celebrity Apprentice took a year off.

9. Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars (877,000 0.4)- Now I’m at the point where I’m feeling better about saying this show is doing well. These numbers are great for WE on a Friday night and there will be some decisions that need to be made. While I do think a renewal for the show is now assured, the form it returns in (whether it is regular people, former Bridezillas cast-members or more reality stars) is still up in the air though feasibly they could do additional seasons of all 3 formats.

10. Awkward (1.631 million 0.5)- Truth be told I forgot all about this show. Not sure how but that’s not important. What is important is that these numbers look quite healthy. They’re nothing to be proud of but this show has seen worse days and these numbers aren’t too bad.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.