Wednesday, February 19, 2014

10 Ratings Blurbs: 2/19/14 Edition



I have quite a few updates to make around here. A few I will allude to in the post below but I should be able to get all of those old posts updated no later than early next week.

1. Keeping Up With the Kardashians (2.574 million 1.3)- I think I heard something about another multi-season renewal for this show being in the works. I don't know how true that is but in some ways it is a prudent idea (because E! still doesn't have any shows that come close to getting these numbers) and in some ways it is a bad idea (because this show is getting into ancient territory, the family is still highly overexposed and it will never be as big as it once was).

2. Vanderpump Rules (1.780 million 0.8)- Had I known the finale was 2 weeks ago I may have said something a little different. Anyway I do still think this show will get renewed and if Bravo does an upfront presentation this year (and that network is pretty faithful about doing them every year) that is when I think any renewal news will probably occur.

3. Teen Wolf (2.122 million 0.9)- By now I do think this show has proven that it is one of the stronger shows on MTV. The numbers have not increased very much since season 1 but the numbers are ridiculously stable in comparison with other shows and this show never saw a weird exodus of viewers that nearly every other MTV show has experienced in the last year.

4. Single Ladies (1.844 million 1.0)- I thought the numbers would go down and I also believed they wouldn't go down by much. This show has always had a floor of about 1.6-1.8 million viewers and strangely it has always been more compatible with Basketball Wives than it has with Love & Hip Hop (my theory is that Love & Hip Hop has more male viewers than Basketball Wives which is why Love & Hip Hop has higher total viewers because it adds male viewers while retaining all of the female viewers and this show specifically targets female viewers).

5. Basketball Wives: LA 3 (1.952 million 1.0)- I don't know how this show will go. It can gain viewers from here and it can lose viewers from here. This show has done both in the past. Not many people seem to understand why this show keeps getting renewed but the only thing that needs to be understood is that not every Monday 8pm VH1 show can be or should be compared to Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta and a show that is still pulling more than 1.5 million viewers on Mondays will always stand a great chance at getting renewed (now spinoffs may save or derail a show but that is another story).

6. Beauty and the Beast (775,000 0.3)- This is only here because last week The CW made it pretty obvious where they are headed next season with the five shows they renewed (Arrow, Reign, Supernatural, The Originals and The Vampire Diaries). This show was not a part of that bunch and this show was not expected to be a part of that bunch. Now it is strongly believed that The CW may renew only 2 more dramas (possibly 3 but more than that is unlikely) for next season and again this isn't expected to be one of them so this show is pretty much marching towards its demise.

7. Real Housewives of NYC Preview Special (743,000 0.3)- This is a filler space on my list just like this was a filler space on Bravo's schedule. Nothing will be held against this airing. It is just a preview special but it does need to come in with a much stronger opener than last season.

8. Mob Wives: New Blood (1.157 million 0.5)- Normally I would have held this knowing that the finale is going to air tomorrow but renewals mean the show earns a spot on the list. As I said some days ago, a renewal would not be a surprise because its season 4 average is better than season 3.

9. Pretty Little Liars (2.161 million 0.9)- This show isn't on the list because of the numbers. I have nothing to say about the numbers because they really don't change very much outside of the premieres and the finales. This is to make a mention about Ravenswood being canceled. I'm not really surprised that the show was canceled. What I am surprised about is how quickly the decision was made and how their decision means that they wanted to wait to see numbers for Twisted but that it isn't an either/or thing with the two shows (Twisted is pulling similar numbers to Ravenswood which means it is now in serious danger of being canceled as well).

10. Justified (2.326 million 0.8)- I don't really have to say anything about this show and perhaps I won't again until the finale but sometimes I don't like to feel like I'm forgetting about shows. With that all I am going to say is I wonder how long it will take FX to order the replacement and will they be patient with it or will they expect the new show to pull numbers like these immediately.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.